Air temp sensor delete - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Air temp sensor delete

Today I installed a new trick flow ceramic intake elbow on my car and noticed that the air temp sensor was missing on my car I've had this car for close to four years and never noticed that it was missing.

The stock 1LE elbow has a rubber plug where the sensor used to be so someone deleted the plug at some point. Is there any benefit to doing this? Theres always been a plug hanging on my car it comes out of the wiring harness that runs under the coolant overflow tank and just hangs down. It doesn't seem like it could be the plug for the temp sensor cuz it looks way too short to reach all the way to the intake elbow.

The original owner of my car used to drag race it pretty hard and did most of the mods that are done to this car. Including wiring in switches for the cooling fans.

I went to lowe's and bought a 1 dollar rubber plug and plugged the hole for the temp sensor.

110k, Bright Red, Hard top, Moroso cold air, Trick flow ceramic intake elbow, SLP 3" Y pipe, Random tech high flow cat, Borla adjustable cat back with DHM cutout, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, Summit polished diff cover, March crank pulley, V8 shock tower brace, core shifter/billet hurst, Sway bars, Hotchkis lower control arms, welded subframe connectors, lakewood drive shaft loop, non cracked dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 06:17 AM
Global Moderator

The air temp sensor helps the pcm fine tune the air/fuel mixture to adjust to different air temps entering engine. When air is cold, pcm will richen up the mixture. when air is warm or hot, pcm will lean the mixture.

While your car will run without the air temp sensor, it will run more efficiently with the sensor doing it's job. Unless the last owner tuned pcm to run in speed density mode all the time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Would there be any benefit to running in speed density mode all the time? I'm assuming the person that deleted the plug knew what they were doing because the guy was super anal about the car and kept every receipt and took great care of it. Thanks for the quick explanation

110k, Bright Red, Hard top, Moroso cold air, Trick flow ceramic intake elbow, SLP 3" Y pipe, Random tech high flow cat, Borla adjustable cat back with DHM cutout, MSD 8.5mm plug wires, Summit polished diff cover, March crank pulley, V8 shock tower brace, core shifter/billet hurst, Sway bars, Hotchkis lower control arms, welded subframe connectors, lakewood drive shaft loop, non cracked dash

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Global Moderator

I would pm our member steveo and ask him the benefits of speed density operation. He's up to speed on that subject. Can't remember if the s is capital or small in steveo name.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I just talked to my friend who's had several Lt1's and he said that the 92 vettes were speed density, and that they were dogs compared to the maf cars that were to follow. He said that the maf on my car must've been deleted also but It still has one and its plugged in so not sure about that.

I recently cleaned the maf and tb and now the car runs a lot better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement