DO I need an oil inlet restrictor on my t3t4 turbo? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > Forced Induction

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #1

BUTCHERZ28 Apprentice Level Tech I
Default DO I need an oil inlet restrictor on my t3t4 turbo?

I made my own rear mount turbo setup. its a .70 a/r t3t4 turbo. When i give it more than half throttle the exhaust starts pourin smoke and oil leaks outta the turbo outlet for the exhaust. The oil inlet has a 4 an fitting on it. The hole is probably around 1/4 inch that the oil goes into. I have the line coming from the port above my lt1's oil filter. Is the turbo getting too much oil possibly at more than half throttle, before it can drain into the outlet line? the outlet line is 5/8", so I know it is not the culprit... the pump is working as well. I see that some people use these restrictor fittings that have like .065" holes in them. How much is too much oil? any other suggestions are appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #2

one of my friends with a mustang equipped with a precision 78 mm turbo kit told me that i overspun the turbo on a count of the coupling being popped off, and that is why its pouring oil. anyone agree
Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #3

BLACK HAWK has never heard

i didn't see in your description, do you have an oil pump on the return line? all sts/rear mount turbo's have a pump to return the oil back to the motor... or a self contained oiling system with a pump

385cu.in LT1 1995 Firehawk #584 of 671
RM Turbo opinion: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/12485435-post11.html

`````
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #4

PoormansVetteWS6 Apprentice Level Tech I

I thought oil restrictors were for ball bearing turbos only? I could def be wrong.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #5

yes i have a return pump b hawk, dont laugh; its a shurflo 8000.... just to get the build running. the turbo was fine for a few days, then bam one day it started smoking and i looked and oil was dripping out of the turbine exhaust dump. , i then realised that i had blown off a silicone coupler so i had been puttin around while the turbo had nothing holding it back. my friend who owns akron horsepower here in ohio said that i overspun it because of that and it was junk. i bought a 30 dollar rebuild kit and slapped it back on and it leaked oil worse... what gives? do i have an isufficient return setup? i pull off my oil cap where the return is going into and see oil pumping through tho. i didnt see nething wrong when i took it apart . He suggested buying a master power . He has a Precision but thats way out of my price range, even master power is a little much 4 me. Any help is much appreciated
Old 09-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #6

JesterJess user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I would guess your culprit is that oil pump. Just because it is flowing oil back to the engine, does not mean that your pump is keeping up with the oil feed. I'm no expert with rear mount turbos (yet), I do know that these cheaper turbos are capable of putting out big numbers when properly matched to your set-up. I don't think the turbo is actually the problem. I believe your issue is truly to much oil pressure inside the center of your turbo; causing it to blow oil past the oil seals. The only way I can see to fix this is with the proper pump that will flow the amount of oil that is provided.

Good luck, and please let us know if you figure it out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #7

txthndr user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

^^^ valid point, even though it is a pump that has been used on rear set ups with success, but i know i have gotten new parts from the vatozone and were broken...

my other thoughts,

i'm not an expert (yet) either, but i believe your pump (oil), if new, and/or in advertized working condition it should flow the oil back to the engine without a problem, but, what about your check valves? two different part #. one one-way CV is for the pcv system, the other is for the oil return line between the turbo outlet and pump (correct me if i'm wrong) it should open when return flow happens and shut when pump off, there for no big amounts of residual oil returning to the turbo thus smokin while running...

second opinion...pump location? this is just a theory if it was happening to me...is the pump installed a FEW feet away from turbo AND is it really up high above the turbo causing the pump not to be able to keep up. ex. more then three feet of line between turbo and pump, and pump installed really far up above turbo....? just a thought
WAIT, it's been built! 385 c.i. rear mount turbo, T-56 built by Savers trans, pensacola fl. starting at 5lbs, and breaking in then engine. hopefully will get it to 12psi in a couple months on dyno tune..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement