STS TURBO ON A 1994 Camaro stock lt1. - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Engine Tech > Forced Induction

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #1

My Facebook My Facebook
1994 lt1 Camaro user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default STS TURBO ON A 1994 Camaro stock lt1.

Can i put a STS trubo on the lt1 stock motor, with out it blowing?

if so how much psi, and where to get it for the best price?

my mods are, maroso racing muffler. no cat. and hypertech chip. with a msd pro built distributor. and the intake is a maroso cold air. 4:10 gear. transpac.

its the badest camaro in town. and no mustang has kep up. even a supercharged 281 roush.

so if you have any help for my please help me. im 17 and im looking for the next step.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/images/s...LS1LT1flag.gif
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #2

awizeking Apprentice Level Tech I

you would be better off getting a h/c package imo. sts can make some great power but lt1 pistons are not made for forced induction. an the life span of your motor will be ticking away. but you could get away with about 6psi as for how long only god knows.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #3

My Facebook My Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by awizeking View Post
you would be better off getting a h/c package imo. sts can make some great power but lt1 pistons are not made for forced induction. an the life span of your motor will be ticking away. but you could get away with about 6psi as for how long only god knows.
now what exactly is a h/c package?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:05 AM   #4

awizeking Apprentice Level Tech I

heads an cam with full exhaust of course
Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Agreed, IMO it is silly to just jump to running boost. Finish up all the bolt ons and maybe just a cam before deciding on boost.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
I have a heavily modified lt1.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/moderato...lt1-build.html
Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #6

My Facebook
xtraman122 Apprentice Level Tech I

^^^ Build up the engine first, go forged pistons if you plan on going boost, but you'll be surprised how much power just some simple stuff like heads and a cam can do. Then, when you get bored with that, you'll be built up strong enough for boost and you'll get a whole new power boost from that.

1993 Black Firebird Formula A4
Mods: Airfoil - Aluminum Intake Elbow - K&N CAI - Edelbrock Shorties - Borla Catback - Crank Underdrive - 2.73s- Erson Pushrods/Guideplates/Springs/Rockers/cam? - 98-02 Tailights - 95 TA Front Bumper
290rwhp 322rwtq

To Come: LTs - Tune - 3.73s - Tranny

You have an LS what???
Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #7

sphinx_57 Apprentice Level Tech III

I say go for it. Ive been running a supercharger for the last three years with no problem. Just do it right, don't forget to upgrade you fuel and spark. 6 psi or less has been good for me, anything above that and your starting to push the limits.

Heads and cam are definatly nice, but when you change those your taking in more air anyway. You could end up raising your compression and then you would need diffrent heads for sure. I would also suggest buying a book on turbo's and one on just overall performance and then decide which route you would like to take.

Last edited by sphinx_57; 04-28-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #8

My Facebook My Facebook

thank you for helping, but i just ripped second out today so i gott get a new trans, my buddy has a stock trans with a shift kit. for $350
Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #9

meine96ws6 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

go with bolt ons..... and please build the whole car... people dump money in the motors..then their trans or rear go... if funny.. if you build it all together shit wont break...
Old 05-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #10

LT1-TA Apprentice Level Tech III

do heads/cam/nitrous...

boost is too much if your scared to blow it. to spend alllll that money to run 5psi ("safe") and have someone with a cheap nitrous kit blow your doors off would be rediculous.

h/c/n with bolt ons will get you over 500 rwhp and honestly be safer... but still. stock motor... no matter what you do it may give at any time.
"No way dude...i saw an LS1 fight godzilla and the LS1 beat godzilla and it looked in the air and was like what do you think of that god? And god was like bring it bitch, so they fought and the LS1 beat god and now the LS1 is god because its the greatest thing ever"
Old 05-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #11

z95lt1 Apprentice Level Tech III

the sts turbo kit is not cheap, im talking like $6k. you can use that $6k building your motor, trans, rearend, and putting on an intake and turning and put down better hp/tq numbers, so in turn being faster.

one more reason i would stay away from the sts kit is two guys i know one has a sts turbo car and the other h/c/i my friend with the h/c/i owns the turbo car everytime they line up with less money spent.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #12

LT1-TA Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by z95lt1 View Post
the sts turbo kit is not cheap, im talking like $6k. you can use that $6k building your motor, trans, rearend, and putting on an intake and turning and put down better hp/tq numbers, so in turn being faster.

one more reason i would stay away from the sts kit is two guys i know one has a sts turbo car and the other h/c/i my friend with the h/c/i owns the turbo car everytime they line up with less money spent.
BUT... if they built the motors for boost then the h/c cars will never catch up. they are pretty much maxed. Only thing to do is add nitrous/compression...

Forged boost motor with h/c... mhmmm

But thats off topic. He dont want to build a motor soooo heads/cam would be the only way to go. $2k and you got a pretty nasty lil car..
"No way dude...i saw an LS1 fight godzilla and the LS1 beat godzilla and it looked in the air and was like what do you think of that god? And god was like bring it bitch, so they fought and the LS1 beat god and now the LS1 is god because its the greatest thing ever"
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #13

BLACK HAWK has never heard

yes, you can rear mount your bone stock LT1. you will want to keep your stock exhaust manifolds, and will only be able to run about 3-5lbs of boost somewhat safely. wide band highly suggested. maybe 350-400rear wheel. STS/rearmount turbos work best when the motor is built as is with most if not all forced induction. i paid 8k for my kit not including the built motor to handle up to 650 rearwheel. suggested up grades: valve spings, lifters, turbo cam, fuel pump / injectors, exhaust wrap, meth, intercooler or both, A/f/boost gage and A GOOD TUNE are all key to get the most out of a rearmount and other forced induction systems. STS does hang low to the ground and STS now offers a new pipe kit that tucks it up alittle bit higher. other issues people have is lag. when built right there is little to no lag ( exhaust wrap), oil pump failures, and a few others. some people have had damage to the turbo do to the catalytic converter breaking down and throwing junk in to it. ( i run no cats)
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #14

porsches4lunch user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Its all in the tune. keep the boost to 6 psi and you will be ok. if you can, get a meth kit. I have a friend who ran 22 PSI for two years on a stock SBF 5.0 shortblock and never had an issue. However, he always had the meth on and his tune was FREAKIN SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!! it would be better of course to build the engine first.

www.miketurboinc.com for all your turbo needs
Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #15

PoormansVetteWS6 Apprentice Level Tech I

Yea but would the stock rear end and transmission be able to put up with the 350-400 rwhp? I was under the impression that 350 is about the limit for our rear ends. (i could be wrong of course, i was just asking to get my own facts straight)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement