any of you guys autocross f-bodies? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Motorsports & Competition > Drag Racing | Road Racing | Autocross

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

bmxking658 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default any of you guys autocross f-bodies?

Just wondering how many guys autocross these things? I saw a few clips on youtube, but curious how people do, how you set up the car, and how fun is it? I had a crx I used to race with , never took it seriously just a fun way cheaper way to race on some turns. I've had this nightmare of a 95 camaro for like 8 years now and an 85 ta before that. Always wondered how much fun it would be and how to go about setting up the car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #2

I guess this goes with my aluminum flywheel question, would a stock actually be better for tight cornering? Driving conditions where you gotta work the clutch like a 2stroke dirt bike brrraaa!!! Seriously though like in lower rpm tight turn conditions???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
10 Second Opti Club

sweetbmxrider Tradesman Level Tech I

There's a few guys on my local board that do it, njfboa.org.

I'm building a car with a few friends for the 24 hours of lemons at NJMP next year, should be fun to whip it in the corners there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
this is the internet, take it to seriously and you won't get out alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=iPMmW3giQQc
Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider View Post
There's a few guys on my local board that do it, njfboa.org.

I'm building a car with a few friends for the 24 hours of lemons at NJMP next year, should be fun to whip it in the corners there.
Really? Sounds cool

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
I have a heavily modified lt1.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/moderato...lt1-build.html
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

1_black_LT1 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Send a message via AIM to 1_black_LT1 Send a message via Yahoo to 1_black_LT1

Used to work at NJMP
We saw the muscle cars more often than you think.
Just gotta know how to drive 'em.

The f-bodies do surprisingly well.
They actually have a European style front suspension setup.
Nice wide wheel-base and sit very low.

Assuming the car is factory(-ish), you're biggest enemies are...
-weight in the front
-traction/power efficiency out of corners
-braking
(lt1 brakes suck, you can build them up, but LS1 twin pistons are the winners)
-Snake turns

Don't waste you're money on the motor, they have more than enough power for your average autocross race. You want to tighten the suspension up for Snakes, Beef up the brakes for corner entry, and make sure the wheels are sticking for Exit.

If you aren't afraid to dive-bomb into corners, burn up tires and keep you apex, they'll have trouble over-taking you in and out of corners. But like I said...can't be afraid to tweak that bitch to the edge of wheel slip. lol

Good luck!

Last edited by 1_black_LT1; 02-19-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

Adam88 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Pretty much what black lt1 said. I take my car to willow springs all the time and i dominate, other then this one s2000 with full suspension, 80 tredwear tires, adjustable dampeners from inside the car ect. It all comes down to driver in the end though. I have seen a bone stock Camry take out fully built STI's in turns.

Custom Shorty Headers, 1.6 RR, CAI, Y-pipe, Borla Straight piped with 90% cut out, Dyno-Tuned, & Full Suspension, 4:10's, 293hp/328tq
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM   #7

Ha true autocross talk! Yea my crx had a stock motor and still had more than enough power. Definitly started dropping weight off the front, removed a/c, air pump, egr stuff, etc... I'm right now doing a clutch replacement and fuel pump. When I put it all back in I'm replacing the brake lines with braided and I got hawks with drilled rigors already. I put swaybars in a few years ago and that made a more responsive feel. I was looking into a set of strano springs and open minded on any suggestions for struts. Tubular suspension parts in the near future as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #8

Adam88 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I run strano struts with 8 way kyb adjustables, but if you want to get the best suspension set up, I'd post up in the suspension section and wait for UMI Performance to chime in, you can really learn a lot from them about what your car needs, doesn't need ect!

Custom Shorty Headers, 1.6 RR, CAI, Y-pipe, Borla Straight piped with 90% cut out, Dyno-Tuned, & Full Suspension, 4:10's, 293hp/328tq
Old 02-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

Thanks for the tips. I posted a spring question and umi jumped on it. I'm looking forward to chatting with them about some tubular parts to stiffin and make the car more responsive. Trying different set ups is fun but buying garbage and replacing it right away sucks. Trying to work off of other peoples knowledge.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #10

2cat95TA Apprentice Level Tech I

I'm thinking about going to my local autox track this year just for the fun, looks like it would be a blast. Pretty heavy to imports though

Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
Runs with scissors

Greed4Speed Tradesman Level Tech I

I've been around cones just for giggles. If you want to do it competitively you need to see what mods your class rules will allow. If you're just doing it for fun then mod away.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #12

I don't think I ever stuck around after my last run to see how well I did against other people. It's way more fun to build the car the way you want it and race yourself. Otherwise you will be unmotivated watching guys woop your time because they've been doing it every weekend for years. My favorite thing about autocross is you can borrow your girlfriends car or grandmas car for the day and have a ton of fun compared to dealing with s talking drag guys with big wallets. Like the sticker says " fast cars drag race, fast drivers autocross"
Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #13

Not to offend drag racing is super cool but I can't afford it.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Whistles go Whoooooooooo

ShowNoMercy Tradesman Level Tech II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxking658 View Post
Not to offend drag racing is super cool but I can't afford it.
You can drag race bone stock cars in bracket classes with just as much luck and fun.

If it ain't ARP, it ain't right.
Quote:
I have a heavily modified lt1.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/moderato...lt1-build.html
Old 02-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #15

Yea I almost forgot about bracket racing, even though I live a few mins from a 1/4 mile track I never tried it. I know you gotta try and run the same time consistantly but how are classes made up if there is any?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement