LS1LT1 Forum banner

Gen V BB in 95 Vert V6 body.

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ed Cantu 
#1 ·
Well after a nine year brake from the F-body I'm finally ready for another. My first car was a 95 Z28 vert that sadly died in 07. I'm a gm buy who just due to price has raced fords mostly. That changes today. While on craigslist poking around I found a complete not running v6 firebird vert that don't run that I'm picking up tomorrow for 400 bucks. Now I know ls engines are way more popular but I want something different.I already have a TH400 in my 59 Apache that I want to swap with a 4 speed so its perfect, firebird will give up her 4 speed and get the 3. My buddy is willing to sell me that gen V long block for super cheap. I read an article in hot rod where they got a gen v went .030 over, 9.5:1 probe pistons, mild cam and pro comp intake. The motor put out 450hp/550lb-ft with factory peanut heads. Thats good in my book plus you can throw some spray at it if you want a bit more.

#3 ·
The standard small block v-8 engines leave very little working room in the engine compartment of a 4th gen. I can't even imagine the nightmare that working on a big block would be.

If your having someone else do the conversion work, I'm betting it's going to set you back some big bucks to get the job done.

This is why the ls engine conversions are done. They came standard in 98-02 z28 , formula, & trans am. The parts to do this conversion are all off the shelf and available most everywhere.

The big block, on the other hand, is going to require lots of costly custom work to get it in there and driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.