LS1LT1 Forum banner

1994 Trans am Brake Upgrade questions

Discuss 
13K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Youngmattg 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
Thats the kit i was thinking about doing. So if u do it let me no how u like it

#4 ·
I will be upgrading my 95 brake system. I chose to go with the 98-02 2 piston front brake set up and the 98-02 rear set up. It involves changing front spindles but I picked up all the major hardware including slotted rotors for $50 on craigslist. All I will need to add are new flexible brake lines and new pads.

Just something for budget minded 93-97 owners to think about.

#9 ·
I'm looking into doing CTS-V 4-piston Brembo calipers with a 14" rotor off a C6 Z06, you still need the LS1 spindle but the rest of the parts are relatively inexpensive and is a great setup from what I'm hearing. Need to run an 18" rim with this combo though.

If you don't want to swap spindles, UMI makes a conversion bracket that bolts to both LT and LS spindles and is made to fit a set of C5/C6 Corvette calipers. Both calipers are 2-piston similar to the LS calipers, but have more cooling fins. C5's use a 13" rotor, which is 1" larger than the LS rotor and can fit within a 17" rim. C6's use a 13.4" rotor I believe and need an 18" rim.

I would recommend these options before going with something aftermarket IMO. Maybe it's just me but brakes are a wear and tear item and I would rather use OEM equipment rather than aftermarket so I can walk into a parts store and get stuff for them. I've heard issues with customer service and getting replacement parts from some of these aftermarket brake companies.

#11 ·
I'd say if you don't want to swap spindles and a 17" rim is important to you, go with the C5 brakes, they're 2 piston similar to the aftermarket set you linked above and you'll get better performance compared to the LS brakes. If you're going to swap spindles and don't mind 18" rims, look into the CTS-V 4-piston Brembo brakes, it's what I plan on doing in the spring. You'll get a big 14" rotor from the C6 Z06 to dissipate heat, I've heard nothing but good things about these calipers, and you'll be surprised with how cheap you can find them.

This is a good thread about mounting the CTS-V calipers on an F body LS spindle
CTS-V Brake Install w/ Pics - LS1TECH

Even though I don't recommend grinding a wheel this way, this guy was able to squeeze 17" C4 ZR1 wheels on a CTS-V caliper
F-Body with CTS-V Calipers 14" Rotors and 17" rims - LS1TECH

Here's some info on the C5/C6 caliper brackets from UMI
1993 - 2002 GM F-Body C5/C6 Brake Conversion Brackets [2120] - $259.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

Here's a list of parts for a C5 caliper conversion
http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/chassis...5-brake-conversion-list-4th-gen-f-bodies.html

#13 ·

Difference between LS1 and C5 front calipers

Post 13 clarifies that the ls1 calipers have larger pistons.

I would strongly suggest upgrading to braided stainless steel lines throughout and then flushing/bleeding old fluid out and replacing with new. Your pedal will be great.

#15 ·
SweetBMXRider, those look like single piston rear calipers from those cars if I'm not mistaken, not front calipers.

Youngmattg, from the research I've done and talking to f body guys at shows about these options, having an LT car and upgrading brakes require either swapping spindles or using a C5 conversion bracket. From what I've heard, the LS F body and C5 calipers are interchangeable, however, if you have an LS spindle, you can only run 12" rotor with either caliper, the C5 conversion bracket allows you to run a 13" rotor which can also use either caliper.

As for the difference between the LS and C5 calipers, the C5's have cooling fins that run the length of the caliper while the LS's only have fins on the back. C5 calipers are pressure cast while the LS's are gravity cast making the C5's stronger and less likely to spread. I believe the LS's have two 53mm pistons while the C5's have two 50mm pistons. From what guys have told me, you'll barely notice a difference in stopping distance between the two but the C5's will dissipate more heat and won't fade as much/fast under spirited driving.

Here are some links with more info
C5 Zo6 brakes V.S. LS1 brakes - LS1TECH
Pic of Corvette conversion kit from 6litereater - LS1TECH

IMO, I would go with the C5 bracket to get that 13" rotor, that's 2" larger than our LT rotor and I believe C5 rotors are directionally vented, but even if they're not, that extra 2" will dissipate a good amount of heat. As far as calipers, you're more likely to come across an LS caliper in the junk yard or being parted out (98-02 v6 calipers are the same), if you can get them on the cheap, go for it. If you're buying new hardware, price it out, but from the shopping I've done C5 calipers aren't that expensive new and I can't see them being much more than new LS calipers, I'd say those cooling fins would net you being performance keeping everything cool rather than the 3mm larger pistons on the LS's

As far as rear brakes go, I'm not touching mine. The fronts do all the work, the rears are just there for stabilization and having a brake bias too much to the rear can make the car squirrely.

#17 ·
Haha they are rears, whoops.

Ls brake swaps sell for around $100 on craigslist. That's spindles, bearings, etc. A quality pad and good napa rotors are plenty. Don't get into the drilled/slotted hype, they are a waste. Braided stainless lines are a great upgrade. Figure out your budget and see what you can afford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.