Double din radio suggestions.... - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Car Audio & Electronics

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #1

PoormansVetteWS6 Apprentice Level Tech I
Default Double din radio suggestions....

Well...ive come to the point where i want a new radio. Since im really liking the double din DVD type of radios, id figured i`d ask for a little bit of help on this. I just need some suggestions. I would love to have one with a detachable faceplate for security reasons (i know that might be asking for too much.), able to use my ipod and read mp3 cds that i usually make for myself and be touch screen of course. I really dont want to pay an arm and a leg for one, but if i get a nice looking one for cheap, then i might jump on it. I recently foudnt hat 6LEDesigns.com has the double din bezels for the firebirds/trans ams so im looking a little bit harder for a radio, but im in no rush for it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

My Facebook
Voradeaur user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-HD-Touch-Scree...item27b8f7aa01

Not an arm and a leg... but it will probably take you about 2 months to get it. Its a little slow shipping electronics over seas like that..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #3

Eh...im trying to stay away from the knock-offs like that. Ive looked at those and im not to sure about those.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

bradbaker5387 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

anything dd thats worth a crap is gunna cost you i went with a kenwood bt900 its a single din but you can add more screens and i have my 320gb portable hard drive hooked up to it so i can watch or listen to all my library plus sice its a singlw din u have room for a nice eq if your into that kinda stuff

borla cat back,hooker super comp headers,cai,mild cam,solomon tune,soon to come 3.73s,eibach pro kit,3200 yank tc,100 shot
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #5

Actually Brad, that head unit is about the cost of the double dins ive been looking for. Thats about the price im trying to stay at. I dont want to spend no more then $400 really. I think i might google some models and see what i can find. I might check out Amazon also. Does anyone know how deep the stock radio is?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #6

bradbaker5387 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

i got mine for 180 new on ebay but if you want to google some double dins ive heard pioneer has some good ones and my buddy said he got one for 320 used on ebay

borla cat back,hooker super comp headers,cai,mild cam,solomon tune,soon to come 3.73s,eibach pro kit,3200 yank tc,100 shot
Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #7

My Facebook
Voradeaur user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Either you get something for a good price (like the one i showed you) or you opt to pay for something worth a damn.. you said cheap.. thats cheap.. i can pull up 700 dollar head units that fit your criteria as well... but then again.. im not going to because your just as capable of finding the stuff on the internet as i am... you have google.. use it..
Old 03-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #8

wrmathis user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

check out doubledmods.com they have alot of good deals goin on and it comes with HU, wiring harness, DD Bezel, brackets, and antenna adapter
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #9

Hey voradeaur, i wasnt being rude to you about find that HU on ebay. I`m just not really sure about the HUs on ebay thats all. No disrespect or anything. Thanks wrmathis...i`ll check that site out.

edit - not a bad site Voradeaur.....it actually gave me some really good options to look at. Im thinking about getting the Jensen VM9224...its worth looking at.

edit #2 - Actually...this might not be a good idea...since i dont have a true car alarm. I just have the factory car alarm. Not that smart, i dont think.

Last edited by PoormansVetteWS6; 03-23-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #10

ohioviper user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I have the Jensen VM9224 in my truck and love it. Got it off Amazon for $215 and the blue tooth add on for $40 off eaby. Im saving up for the Nav add on its another $200. For the money it a nice unit.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #11

Hmm...thats actually not a bad radio....Im checking it out right now as i type my response. Im definitely adding this to my list of radios im looking at. Good looking out ohioviper!

p.s. - actually i do remember checking the Jensen out. But does it have a detachable face plate? I cant find any ifo on it having a detachable face plate or not

Last edited by PoormansVetteWS6; 03-28-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #12

My Facebook
GoMopar440 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I've had a couple Jensen HU's before and never was very happy with the durability. Sound quality was a bit under par when compared side by side with some friends HU's in similar cars.

I just got my Metra install kit (95-3302) in the mail today so I'm heading out to start the install of my Pioneer AVH-2300DVD HU right now. I picked up the HU at WalMart for $350 (no tax in MT ), but I've also seen the same HU online for $285 new. Just shop around, there's plenty of deals to be had out there in your price range.

Be sure to allow for the installation essentials into the cost of your project. The install kit ($13), wiring and antenna adapter ($15) and the 2 DIN bezel (DD mods makes the bezels for 6LE BTW).

I'm going to mod a spare bezel on my own and just save my original bezel with the SS emblem. I got a repop SS emblem and a factory ASR switch to put on the modded bezel after it's finished and painted. I'll wire the ASR switch for something else since it's not eqiupped on my car.
97 Camaro SS (SLP#1812) Sebring Silver,body color hardtop, LT1/AT, 42K miles
All stock except for Borla exhaust (SOLD)
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #13

Yea i kinda figured i would have to put some money to the side for installation itself. But heres a question, is it a good idea to install a nondetachable face 2din radio with the factory alarm? I have somewhat tinted windows (they are dark, but you can still see inside.) and i just dont want someone wanting my radio a little bit more then i do if you know what i mean. Id like to do this when i get the money since i love the look of the 2din radios, plus i need something MUCH more modern lol
Old 04-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #14

sokr915 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMopar440 View Post

I just got my Metra install kit (95-3302) in the mail today so I'm heading out to start the install of my Pioneer AVH-2300DVD HU right now. I picked up the HU at WalMart for $350 (no tax in MT ), but I've also seen the same HU online for $285 new. Just shop around, there's plenty of deals to be had out there in your price range.
Are you sure this install kit will fit on our cars? if so i will have to pick one up when i decide to get a head unit. the headunit i want is the a JVC KW-AVX640, it has the detachable faceplate and a bunch of other nice features, but i like that if you have an iphone you can use an app for the NAV and have it come on the screen.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105AVX6...ures_and_specs
Old 04-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #15

My Facebook
GoMopar440 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

The Metra kit should work with ANY 2 din HU so just pick whichever HU you like and can afford. Detachable face HU's will generally cost more, but if you gotta have it... $$$

As far as factory alarm compatability? Not a clue. The factory Delco radios with the Theftlock function have their own security system built into the HU itself AFAIK. It needs the unlock code if you disconnect it or pull power and have to reinstall it as I understand it. I don't believe it should affect the factory car alarm when you just swap out the factory HU for an aftermarket one. I'll know for sure after I install mine.

If you buy from Crutchfield (who usually tosses in the install kits free), let them know that you want that particular install kit. Crutchfield will probably try to tell you that it won't fit because their computer tells them (incorrectly) that a 2 din HU won't fit a F body. If so, tell them that it's for a custom modded install and see if they'll work with you on it. Can't say for sure as I've never dealt with Crutchfield personally.

I researched it quite a bit, and from everything I've read, that's the one (Metra 95-3302) that is mentioned as being most appropriate for the '97-'02 Camaro (and many others). The second post in this thread -> http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800820 has a few very helpful links in it. You'll just need to nip a bit off one of the lower tabs on the install kit side brackets to make it fit.

BTW: I got my harness adapter wired to the new radio plug already. I just needed to get my electrical connector kit before I could finish it. Since it was in my storage unit about 1.5 hours away from me, I had to wait till I had some free time and better weather to be able to go out there and get it. I went and picked it up today, as well as my Dremel kit I'll need to mod the bezel, so I'll finally be able to make some progress on the install again.
97 Camaro SS (SLP#1812) Sebring Silver,body color hardtop, LT1/AT, 42K miles
All stock except for Borla exhaust (SOLD)

Last edited by GoMopar440; 04-11-2011 at 02:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement