1996 Firebird electric window problem! - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Car Audio & Electronics

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #1

lt1hawkeye user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default 1996 Firebird electric window problem!

Hi all, ive had this problem with my 96' Firebird for a while now and ive tried just about all i can think of, prehaps someone can help shed some light on some other options. This is what i have: the drivers side window will go up and down slowly and eventually stops (i assume because of a breaker), after about a min. or so it will go a few more inches and stop again. While stopped, if i press the button i cant hear the motor or anything--I can help the window to go up and down by pulling or pushing, but it wont go down or up under its own power (except for a few inches at a time, and the distance is shorter the hotter it is outside). The Passenger window will go up and down under its own power, but it is Verrrrrry slow.

So far i have replaced (most of the time multiple times just in case i got a faulty new part):
--Both Window Motors
--The relays
--The Wireing
--The windows (someone broke em for my cd player)
--In addition, ive tried to grease up the tracks and try to find anything physically that would get in the way of Both windows (alas, found nothing)
--The switch assemblys themselves

If anyone has any other ideas or questions on it i would love the help, Its the only inconvinient thing i have going on in my car nowadays and id love to get it fixed. Thanks!

Richard / Lt1Hawkeye
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #2

BrdwAtti2d Apprentice Level Tech II
Send a message via AIM to BrdwAtti2d Send a message via Yahoo to BrdwAtti2d

Sounds like the adjustment is just out of wack. If the window is binding it will stop. They are designed to stop so you don't cut off digits. Try this...
http://shbox.com/1/adj_window.html

2002 L36 Firebird
1997 LT1 Firebird Formula (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowNoMercy View Post
guys with stock throttle bodies have smaller orifices.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrdwAtti2d View Post
Sounds like the adjustment is just out of wack. If the window is binding it will stop. They are designed to stop so you don't cut off digits. Try this...
http://shbox.com/1/adj_window.html
Good guide, but this is also among the things that ive tried to do---on both windows, and any adjustments i made didnt effect the speed. When i roll the window up / down now you cant actually feel or hear any binding---its just really really slow.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #4

shadymilkman user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

check your window tracks...shbox.com ftw

i had an issue with this once, too - turned out the magnets on my aftermarket speakers were too big and the windows were hitting them...if you've got aftermarket speakers in you may want to check those, too. i had noticed it by accident when i was lowering the window without a panel on the door and was very o_O followed by >_< when i saw what it was. but afterwards i was ^_^

-j
Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadymilkman View Post
check your window tracks...shbox.com ftw

i had an issue with this once, too - turned out the magnets on my aftermarket speakers were too big and the windows were hitting them...if you've got aftermarket speakers in you may want to check those, too. i had noticed it by accident when i was lowering the window without a panel on the door and was very o_O followed by >_< when i saw what it was. but afterwards i was ^_^

-j
Just checked the same thing on both doors, im pretty sure the speakers are stock, or at least stock size---they come nowwhere close to the track. What else on the track could be binding if its not hitting anything? Ive adjusted the height and pitch of the track / window multiple times with no change in speed. I could live with the passenger door being slow, but the driver' door needing help every time is starting to get me mad . Thanks for all the responces, keep those ideas coming!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #6

LT1/TA user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Try getting a relay kit that supplies power to the motor from the battery,I did this to my pass side and it is super fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement