$2,600 for 4L60E rebuild? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Dave-Simkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midlothian, IL
Posts: 15
 
$2,600 for 4L60E rebuild?

So when I bought my 99 T/A it supposedly had a shift kit in it which is why it shifted so hard from 1st to 2nd.

After driving it for 3 months the trans died, revved in every gear. I was hoping it would be the converter or rear end but Mech told me I need a
rebuild and got me a price of 2,600, that sounds crazy expensive to me.

Any opinions on what I should do?
I'd like to put a T56 in it but I'm afraid that would cost way too much.
Dave-Simkus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Supporting Member
 
cahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newark Delaware
Posts: 356
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Simkus View Post
So when I bought my 99 T/A it supposedly had a shift kit in it which is why it shifted so hard from 1st to 2nd.

After driving it for 3 months the trans died, revved in every gear. I was hoping it would be the converter or rear end but Mech told me I need a
rebuild and got me a price of 2,600, that sounds crazy expensive to me.

Any opinions on what I should do?
I'd like to put a T56 in it but I'm afraid that would cost way too much.
I only charge $1500 for a 4L60E that we have in 9 second cars. Unfortunately, I've been inside $3000 builds that left wayyy too much to be desired. Is his price including a new converter and removal/reinstallation?

Frank
cahall is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 AM
Regular Member
 
Justin Hover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
 
Holy shit...i had mine re-built with 4000 converter/cooler for 850$. With about 450$ in new tranny parts. A total of 1300$. Thought I had a great deal considering the new stall/cooler installed.

slp cai..p&ptb..ls6intake...pacesetter lts..tsp true duals..4000revmax stall..motive3.73s..UMI strut..lcas..ta..
ph rod..bilsteins/springs..poly mm..frost tune.
Tick performance SNS stage 3 234/244 111+3...performance built transmission
Justin Hover is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Supporting Member
 
cahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newark Delaware
Posts: 356
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Hover View Post
Holy shit...i had mine re-built with 4000 converter/cooler for 850$. With about 450$ in new tranny parts. A total of 1300$. Thought I had a great deal considering the new stall/cooler installed.
A GOOD 4000 stall converter runs $800. A GOOD trans cooler runs $100. If you only spent $850 on a whole job, you got some cheap stuff...

Frank
cahall is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Regular Member
 
Justin Hover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
 
He said he needed just a tranny re-build and the quote was 2600$.
I bought the converter/cooler/ ahead of time.
When I was quoted for the the rebuild, tranny parts, and install of stall/cooler it was 850$ for labor, 450$ for tranny parts. I know I got a great deal seeing this particular shop has done everything to my car, but 2600$ just for a rebuild is ridiculous.

slp cai..p&ptb..ls6intake...pacesetter lts..tsp true duals..4000revmax stall..motive3.73s..UMI strut..lcas..ta..
ph rod..bilsteins/springs..poly mm..frost tune.
Tick performance SNS stage 3 234/244 111+3...performance built transmission
Justin Hover is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Dave-Simkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midlothian, IL
Posts: 15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Hover View Post
He said he needed just a tranny re-build and the quote was 2600$.
I bought the converter/cooler/ ahead of time.
When I was quoted for the the rebuild, tranny parts, and install of stall/cooler it was 850$ for labor, 450$ for tranny parts. I know I got a great deal seeing this particular shop has done everything to my car, but 2600$ just for a rebuild is ridiculous.
I don't understand much about transmissions yet. I'm not sure what a stall is
but he said the torque converter is good, they would take my transmission and ship it somewhere and get a rebuilt one i guess. For all the labor and everything the total will be 2,600. I found a brand new Magnum T56 is $3,000.

I'm not sure what to do. I live in Midlothian IL and there aren't many good transmission shops around here, I want to get it done right. Not sure who to trust.
Dave-Simkus is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Regular Member
 
Justin Hover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
 
Well I can assure you a torque converter ( or stall) is the single best mod you can do to an auto hands down. Read alittle on that...better yet read ALOT on that. It's a great investment if you can get a stall and a shop to rebuild and install it for under 2600$ total. Keep calling around, theirs gotta be a shop within a 50-75 mile radius that rebuilds trannys for way less than what that dick head is telling you. All he is doing is playing the middle man.

slp cai..p&ptb..ls6intake...pacesetter lts..tsp true duals..4000revmax stall..motive3.73s..UMI strut..lcas..ta..
ph rod..bilsteins/springs..poly mm..frost tune.
Tick performance SNS stage 3 234/244 111+3...performance built transmission
Justin Hover is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM
Global Moderator
 
cocobolo95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fruitland Park,Florida
Posts: 11,662
 
Putting in a used torque converter will probably void the warranty that comes with the rebuilt tranny.
cocobolo95 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Regular Member
 
Justin Hover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 119
 
^In that case send it to Performa-built transmissions (A sponser for few of ls1 sites) where they include a 2yr warranty with a rebuilt tranny and after market converter.

If your not building a complete badass racing transmission, and are in need of a "typical" re-build, you'd be better off finding a local shop who is familiar with a 4/60e tranny and backs their work for alot cheaper.

slp cai..p&ptb..ls6intake...pacesetter lts..tsp true duals..4000revmax stall..motive3.73s..UMI strut..lcas..ta..
ph rod..bilsteins/springs..poly mm..frost tune.
Tick performance SNS stage 3 234/244 111+3...performance built transmission
Justin Hover is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Regular Member
 
Dave-Simkus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midlothian, IL
Posts: 15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Hover View Post
^In that case send it to Performa-built transmissions (A sponser for few of ls1 sites) where they include a 2yr warranty with a rebuilt tranny and after market converter.

If your not building a complete badass racing transmission, and are in need of a "typical" re-build, you'd be better off finding a local shop who is familiar with a 4/60e tranny and backs their work for alot cheaper.
I checked out that site. $1650.00 sounds great to get a high quality 4L60E.
I've never done this before. So they send me the transmission and I get someone to install it? Do I need to buy a stall from them too?

Thanks everyone for all the help.
Dave-Simkus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome