Prothane Trans Mount - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Automatic Transmissions | Torque Converters

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Zanez28 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default Prothane Trans Mount

I recently went to auto zone and just bought a Duralast Trans mount for like $13. I've been hearing about how "Good" the Prothane's are. Is it worth ordering the trans mount insteading of using the Duralast one. Has anyone with the mount noticed a difference? Thanks

94' z28 A4 with MSD Ignition, MSD Super Conductor 8.5MM Wires, NGK Plugs, Lingenfelter CAI, TF Elbow, Flowmaster ex, Meziere EWP.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Spelling Bee winnah!

My Facebook
xDetroitMetalx Apprentice Level Tech III

DO NOT BUY THE PROTHANE... It never felt right, I have it in a box somewhere. Instead buy the Energy Suspension mount. Since you are an LT1 with an A4 I would recommend not installing the "preload plate" even though the instructions insist that you do so. This will raise your trany up too high with the OEM cross member. If you ever get the TA Relocation Bar from UMI then I would install the preload plate, but until then leave it off and keep it somewhere safe. Leaving the plate off will not damage anything, I had mine off for 10k miles and there was no sign of extra wear or damage.

Oh yea, instal the rubber mount for now until the poly mount arrives. You don't want to drive the car with that thing ripped. I've heard some horror stories of the tail of the trans snapping off.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #3

Dang, im driving it now with the thing tore up How hard is it to replace? Can it be done quick?

94' z28 A4 with MSD Ignition, MSD Super Conductor 8.5MM Wires, NGK Plugs, Lingenfelter CAI, TF Elbow, Flowmaster ex, Meziere EWP.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #4

I was going to this once i can get on the lift at my stepbrothers house, could i do it with the jack thats in the trunk?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #5

NemesisLT1 Apprentice Level Tech I

You can do it with a jack... its really really simple.

Ive done two of them on both fbodies ive had and I used Energy susp. both times and just jacked up the drivers side of the car and slid under (around the dront of the drivers door) and straight in is the tranny crossmember and on top of that is the tranny mount.

Just put a jack stand under the tail shaft (up tight) and then take out the bolts and swap in the new one.... its self explanatory. (i use a jack stand as a precautionary)
Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #6

I went ahead and ordered this:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Energy+Suspens...1108R/10002/-1

He told me it should be here by friday. Do i need to install the Rubber one or can i take it back? Should i be fine till saturday? I will Probolay only drive 40 miles..

Old 10-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #7

Its all in risk to you. Worst case scenario you buy a new Tailshaft lol....

You might as well pull that tranny out and put a new torque converter while your under there... lol hint hint....
Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #8

Ahaha, once i sell some of these parts im trying to sell i swear im getting it from you!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #9

I had someone locally email me on craigslist... question is... should i be an ass and sell it hahahaha jk
Old 10-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #10

Karma!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #11

slackerr26 user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

nothing wrong with a prothane mount. ive had one for about 6 months and i havent had one single problem with it, took it out of the box and bolted it right on

2000 Camaro
1997 Firebird Formula
Old 10-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #12

I did my first fbody one with an energy, and drove it for 6+ months then sold that car.

I did a energy on my current fbody about 3 years ago now, and it hasnt had a single issue.

If I ever need another poly mount ill use energy, kuz its proven good to me!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #13

Did you notice any difference when you put the mount on nemesis? Like from a dig?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #14

just feels more "solid".... its not something that makes your car feel beastly, but the reassurance that you have something that isnt just gonna snap when you launch the car always helps. plus if your gonna have a 2800 stall and you shoot off the line, you will pop OEM rubbers easily.... these hold up tons better. Ive beat the shit out of my car for 3 years and still havnt broken a poly energy one.

and if yours is broken, then you need to replace it ASAP anyways, why not "performance" rather then "oem"....

Whenever something breaks replace it with something better, thats what I always say....
Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #15

Exactly, I guess i wont drive it till saturday

Sponsored Links
Advertisement