which 3000 stall converter - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Automatic Transmissions | Torque Converters

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: PLEASE give a reason for your answer
Vigilante 12 66.67%
Yank 1 5.56%
TCI 0 0%
non of the above 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 01:36 AM   #1

mtperformance Apprentice Level Tech I
Default which 3000 stall converter

Which converter is the best STREET AND STRIP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 AM   #2

sleepyTA Apprentice Level Tech III

Vigilante and Yank are going to be the best. TCI is a good company but i have heard some negative things about them on their torque converter on the 700R/4l60 transmissions. I have no previous experience with any of them mostly because the Vigilante and Yank are expensive.

Last edited by sleepyTA; 12-31-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 AM   #3

BLACK KNIGHT Apprentice Level Tech III

Everyone I know with an LT1 has told me to go Vig...apparently a proven combo. When/if I can ever afford a torque converter that's what I plan to get.

'95 Trans Am Ttop A4 - Fastest 1/4: 13.61 Best Trap: 104.3mph
http://thetremblayhome.com/Trans%20A...ge/TransAm.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
LS1LT1.com Sponsor

performabuilt.com Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to performabuilt.com Send a message via MSN to performabuilt.com Send a message via Yahoo to performabuilt.com

I voted no of the above and suggest you look at what we have to offer, All mentioned are however good converters

Best Deals, Warranty 2yrs trans/converter combos, Fast shipping/delivery times, No core required and no core charge, Free shipping, 7 day Tech support 9 am to 11 pm eastern time. How much more could you ask? PerformaBuilt
Old 12-31-2007, 02:34 PM   #5

LearJet user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

performabuilt, if you don't mind me asking who manufacturers your converters or are they done in house? if they are done in house can you tell me about the process a little bit.
1997 Z28- Pacesetter LT's w/ ORY , Magnaflow catback, CC503 camshaft, 1.6 Comp ProMags, Comp 918 beehive springs, CNC ported and polished stock heads, K&N FIPK CAI, Level 3 4L60E, 9.5 inch 3000 stall, Motive 3.73's, !Cats, !EGR, !A.I.R., LT4 KM. Tuned by Brian at pcmforless.com.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Dennis93TA Apprentice Level Tech III

I've heard many good things about Vig
Old 12-31-2007, 03:01 PM   #7

BLACK KNIGHT Apprentice Level Tech III

DOH! I didn't even realize Performabuilt sold just converters. Will have to keep that in mind.

'95 Trans Am Ttop A4 - Fastest 1/4: 13.61 Best Trap: 104.3mph
http://thetremblayhome.com/Trans%20A...ge/TransAm.htm
Old 12-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
CKJ

Vigilante FTW! I had a Vig 3200 and she was the best converter i ever had. I've currently got a Yank 3000 and its crap...

Old 12-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #9

93v8clone user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

another thumbs up for vig got a vig 3500 in car now and its great on the streat and strip after many nitrous hits
94 z28 ,a4,358 ci, pacesetter long tubes ,holley 52mmt/b,!cat!air!egr n/x hitman wet kit 3.42 gears moroso c.a.i vortech intake elbow,edge 3.5 k converter full rear spohn susp .. cc503.pro mag 1.6 rockers 918springs dyno tune
Old 12-31-2007, 10:23 PM   #10
LS1LT1.com Sponsor

performabuilt.com Apprentice Level Tech III
Send a message via AIM to performabuilt.com Send a message via MSN to performabuilt.com Send a message via Yahoo to performabuilt.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearJet View Post
performabuilt, if you don't mind me asking who manufacturers your converters or are they done in house? if they are done in house can you tell me about the process a little bit.
GO TO OUR HOME PAGE SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE CLICK THE COLORFULL CONVERTER AND YOU CAN READ ALL YOU LIKE ABOUT THEM

Best Deals, Warranty 2yrs trans/converter combos, Fast shipping/delivery times, No core required and no core charge, Free shipping, 7 day Tech support 9 am to 11 pm eastern time. How much more could you ask? PerformaBuilt
Old 12-31-2007, 11:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by performabuilt.com View Post
I voted no of the above and suggest you look at what we have to offer, All mentioned are however good converters
OK lets say I have a 400 rwhp N/A LT1 with a 4l60e and I want a 3000 torque converter but this car is not just a track car it has to be able to pull away from a stop sign with out pullin down a 1.8 60 ft you know what I mean basically is your 9.5 t/c an on/off switch or does it have good street manners ? This car will have a cam some where in the 224 duration range with a moderate LSA ,3.73's, full weight and a 150 shot of spray that will only be used a the track and not kickin till after the 60ft stripe.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
Vigilante FTW! I had a Vig 3200 and she was the best converter i ever had. I've currently got a Yank 3000 and its crap...
Why so much hate for the the yank.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #13

Jpack Apprentice Level Tech III

I run a modded Hughes 3k and love it. They don't make one in a 3k for the LT1's

Nifba.proboards.com

Clayton Racing 398, Rossler TH350 with brake, Dana S60, 250 shot, UMI Performance, Spohn, Baer brakes, 3000 race weight. Street driven race car.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #14
CKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtperformance View Post
Why so much hate for the the yank.
It just doesn't feel like a 3K stall to me. Feels like a good solid 2600 but not 3K. I've always heard that LT1's love Vig stalls and LS1's love Yank stalls. I don't know if this is true or not but my LT1 loved my old vig. Cut 1.77 60 feet w/ 3.23 gears w/ some bolts ons and a 3650 race weight

Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKJ View Post
It just doesn't feel like a 3K stall to me. Feels like a good solid 2600 but not 3K. I've always heard that LT1's love Vig stalls and LS1's love Yank stalls. I don't know if this is true or not but my LT1 loved my old vig. Cut 1.77 60 feet w/ 3.23 gears w/ some bolts ons and a 3650 race weight
That is a pretty good reason , I am almost sold on the vig. the only thing holding me back is the cost I wasnt convinced it was worth 785 but it seems like however gets one is just in love with it so maybe its worth every penny but reading the specs on that performabuilt makes me think they may have some thing there I guess we will have to talk to those guys alittle more. This is my first LT1 an my first time playing with a pcm ,I mean as far as trying to get low et's out of it . The only other sbc autos I have had have been th350 and th400 and I went with B&M ,TCI and hughes but they dont have anything that impresses me for a 4l60e .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement