LS1LT1 Forum banner

TH350 vs 4L60E

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cahall 
#1 ·
OK heres the question
Full track car so driveability and MPG is not a concern here
IM running an LS engine.
I know the 4th gen camaro came with 4L60E so driveshaft isnt a concern
Has anyone got any opinions or feedback on manual valve bodies on the 4l60E ?
or should I just run an aftermarket ECU for it and stick it in drive and let it shift on its own ?
Also if i switch and run a TH350 in order to use a stock driveshaft im assuming I have to look for a 6 inch tail stock ?
Im guessing the 9 inch is too long ?
Also will a stock driveshaft work with a TH350 setup ?

#2 ·
The 4L60E doesn't have to be manually controlled. The nicest part about them is that the shift points are easily tunable through the PCM. Think of it like this, older (modulator controlled) transmissions were usually swapped to manual valve bodies because of the short comings of the modulated system. Most bracket cars that used a manual valve body also incorporated an air shifter. An air shifter uses RPM to control the shifter movement. A 4L60E already has that capability built into the system.
While many think that a TH350 swap makes sense if it's a drag only car, here's other things to keep in mind. The TH350 uses a 2.52 1st gear ratio vs. the 3.06 of the 4L60E. This means 2 things. The TH350 won't 60 ft. as hard and it will require more stall. It's also fair to note that we have customers using O/D in the quarter mile with 700/4L60Es if they're pulling a lot of gear or MPH.
To install a TH350 into a 4TH gen, you will need to find a alternate way to mount your torque arm and make your factory speedo work. This can be accomplished by installing a Fitz All conversion kit in the trans. This allows the use of the stock 4L60E speedo parts and the 4L60E tail housing. This kit also plACES THE MOUNT IN THE CORRECT LOCATION.The drawback is that the trans needs to be disassembled to install it.
If you plan on running at the track, NHRA rules also require a shifter with a positive reverse lock out if running a manual valve body transmission.

Frank

Reactions: KW Baraka
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.