LS1LT1 Forum banner

4l60 speedo gears

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  cahall 
#1 ·
Hey I am new to this forum but having trouble finding new gears for my speedometer on my 93 trans am. my old one a couple teeth have started to break off on the drive gear and my speedo is off by 10mph (says im going 85 but really im going 75). i have changed the rearend gears to 4.10 and have 17in wheels and going to put 275/40/17 tires on soon but would like to get the speedo to read correct. any help would be appericiated and which teeth count to go with for this combination.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm not to sure of the 1993 Trans am and Camaro but I know on the 1994 and new you can have it tuned in the PCM for what gear you are running on the car as for the speedo gear I'm not sure. I would by the factory replacement form the dealer or on eBay and have the PCM flashed to match the mods on the car Dutch as rear gear header ect.

#4 ·
They're hard to find these days. They haven't been used in a couple of decades.

You need to slow your speedo cable down a little bit. You'll have to figure out by exactly how much, but it looks to be about 12%. Do some math, and look around for the right gears. I'd check eBay.

#5 ·
I have looked around all over the internet and not many places have them waiting for a couple places to get back to me ill look again on ebay but had no luck. and not too sure how to figure out which teeth number I need if I knew the equation to use ill figure it out but I don't have that.

#6 · (Edited)
Have you done a google search for transmission parts suppliers? Places that sell 700r4/4l60 parts might have these. Also there are several trans part suppliers that specialize in used parts. So look for them also.

Here's one that lists the various ratio drive & driven gears. You will have to call them to see what is available, and maybe help with the ratio.
www.mmerlinn.com

www.summitracing.com also sells 700r4 speedo gears.

And you can do a search using "700r4 speedometer gear calculator" to find an app to get the correct ratio.

I did a quick google search of "700r4 speedometer gears" and got results on ebay also.

#8 ·
Sorry, I don't have any magic bullets for you. Gears are hard to find anymore, but not impossible. Like I said, you need to slow your speedo down by about 12%. Time to do some math...!

#9 ·
I just went through this nightmare. The driven gears aren't available anywhere.

Frank

#11 ·
Good find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.