93-97 Firebird headlight conversion to H7 - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Chassis & Powertrain Tech > Appearance Mods & Car Care/Detailing

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II
Default 93-97 Firebird headlight conversion to H7

I just completed converting my weak sealed beam headlights on my 95 to
H7 bulbs and the change in lighting is like day & night. The best part is
the cost. Total of $59 including tax. Next best thing to hid, but without the cost. Here's what I used. 2 silverstar ultra H7 bulbs $40. A h7 bulb
wiring kit(heavy duty) from autozone. $12. Two rectanglar (plastic) sealed beams, from you pull it. $3. Tube of high temp silicon sealent $4.
I drilled and cut out the old bulb part of the sealed beam, enlarged the
hole so the H7 would fit. Siliconed H7 socket into original sealed beam housing. Changed original headlight plug to H7 plug. Pluged light in and
lit up the night sky. These plastic sealed beams can also be used for the basis of a HID conversion for these cars. Will also work on third gen
firebirds.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #2

My Facebook
95formula847 has never heard

got any pics at night? im curious about this
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #3

rbaksi user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

yes I would like to see pics of this too
FQuick: http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=13868
Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Global Moderator

Sorry I don't own a camara, but believe me its like day and night. Regular haligen is a
yellow light and doesn't light up road that good. The H7 throws a bright white beam,
and it has a wider further beam. It lights up road very well. Not as good as a HID, but
real, good quality HID kits are expensive.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:20 AM   #5

Blindxeyed Apprentice Level Tech III

You sure you don't mean H4? H7 is a single filament, which means you would lose your high beams, and that just wouldn't make any sense to swap to that. H4 bulbs on the other hand are dual filament bulbs just like the stock lights, so the one bulb acts as both high and low beams. If that's the case then good job, I did that a while back and it was one of the best things I did.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
Global Moderator

Sorry H7 is a dual filiment with low & high. Got them in my car and have both beams.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Global Moderator

Default My mistake 9007 bulb

Sorry readers, my mistake, I did conversion with a 9007 bulb set not the h7 like written up in my original post. Again sorry for the confusion
Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #8

Blindxeyed Apprentice Level Tech III

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
Sorry readers, my mistake, I did conversion with a 9007 bulb set not the h7 like written up in my original post. Again sorry for the confusion
9007 bulbs are essentially that of an H4, they're identical as far as looks and design are concerned. I believe the 9005's just have a different base than the H4's, you could have used either type of bulb and received the same end result.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #9

Nifelheim Apprentice Level Tech I
Send a message via AIM to Nifelheim

No offense dude but you could have done it a much easier way for about as much money lol. They make full conversion kits that are factory replacements for the 4666 glass lamps. I put those and blue HID fogs in for a grand total of about 50 bucks. Some kits are pricier, but if you shop around a bit, you can get good deals.

These below are what I have. They come with the complete housing, the retrofit wiring harness and the bluish-white high intensity bulbs. You can also get fog light kits that use the new bulbs or you can get old style bulbs that emit the same light (don´t know about formulas. I have a TA.) I just polished up my fog light mirrors and put the old style bulbs in. For 93-97 birds, headlamps are part number 4666 so just look up "4666 conversion." and yes they have high and low beam function... to keep yourself from being arrested, I recommend keeping your high beam use to a minimum unless you´re in the country. They´re painfully bright lol

Edit: Just in case anybody ever looks into these, you have to wire the high and low beams backwards since apparently whoever manufactures them is too stupid to wire them correctly (Red to green, green to red etc) Mine had to be anyway lol. I´ve had them for almost 2 years now though and I´m very happy with them

93 hardtop, 91k, M6, leather, Panasonic head, Boston Acoustics audio, 2x12" Boston Acoustics subs, LED everything, blue HID heads/fogs, LS1 tails, American racing Black Rogues staggered 17/18, full Borla exhaust, BBK headers, BBK 58mm TB ported/tuned, manifold port, K&N FIPK, ASP UD pulleys, A/C delete, MSD ignition, NGK plugs, 28# FIs, Hurst S/T, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear, SLP 3-way SFCs, Edelbrock STB, KYB 8-ways, hopefully heads and cam this summer, still waiting on ram air hood...

Last edited by Nifelheim; 01-12-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Global Moderator

Where did you get them from? For those who like the simplicity of plug & play. I, myself, love the joy of adapting and tinkering with things, but many others would like
to do it the easy way. So now there's a method for both kinds of people.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #11

My Facebook
95formula847 has never heard

i might try that nifelheim
Old 01-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #12

Nifelheim Apprentice Level Tech I
Send a message via AIM to Nifelheim

A bunch of different automotive lighting sites carry that kit. I got it from ebay because it was the exact same thing for cheaper. They're not _completely_ plug and play. you do have to do some minor wire modification, especially if you want the halos to function. If you ebay it, look up "4666 conversion" or "4666 HID conversion" something like that. if you do get them, you might have to leave the rubber plug off the back of them and rig up something custom made. my conversion lamps didn´t sit right in the bezels with them on

93 hardtop, 91k, M6, leather, Panasonic head, Boston Acoustics audio, 2x12" Boston Acoustics subs, LED everything, blue HID heads/fogs, LS1 tails, American racing Black Rogues staggered 17/18, full Borla exhaust, BBK headers, BBK 58mm TB ported/tuned, manifold port, K&N FIPK, ASP UD pulleys, A/C delete, MSD ignition, NGK plugs, 28# FIs, Hurst S/T, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 rear, SLP 3-way SFCs, Edelbrock STB, KYB 8-ways, hopefully heads and cam this summer, still waiting on ram air hood...
Old 01-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #13

94TransAmMan Apprentice Level Tech I
Send a message via AIM to 94TransAmMan

Yeah I think I might try that this spring too. The factory lights are incredibly weak...

60' 2.09 13.5 @ 103
DA Corrected 13.3@104
Sponsored Links
Advertisement