LS1LT1 Forum banner

LT1 weak points

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  bym 
#1 ·
Other than the occasional leaky+water pump= dead opti scenario, what are the LT1s other weaknesses?

#3 ·
Biggest weakness of lt1 is it's age and limited number of build years. More and more parts are being discontinued. Also not as much after market support, and not many new lt1 stuff being brought to market.

The sbc which was produced for about 40 years, is still very popular, so after market companies and GM still make parts for those. not to mention reproduction parts.

#4 ·
Thanks. So in the future I need to look at building from another small block Chevy architecture? Since I know that the future is going to become more and more bleak for the LT1, it's kind of official that my formula convertible will become a relic or collector's item simply by fate huh?

#5 ·
The ls family of engines is the now and future, at least until they're made obsolete.

Many people, like me, who plan on staying with the lt1, are buying up lt1 only engine parts to have a good stock for the future. Things like pistons, rods, cranks, will continue to be available, but opti sparks, lt1 water pumps, cylinder heads, intakes, computers, etc will probably get scarce in the not too distant future.

#10 ·
:LS1LT1flag:

X2. Just like the old fox body stang if the lt1 continues to have a following then the aftermarket will continue to make all or at least most of the parts needed. I think that the lt1's will phase out a little but like the 3rd gens, as with the older stangs, you will see them come back. Its still a capable platform and with the ls engines going up is price people will want a cheaper, yet powerful, engine that's affordable. On a side note a quality opti will last a long time. Its when you start putting in junk is usually when your problems begin. as with the water pump they can last longer, in my opinion, than a belt driven pump because you don't have a belt pulling on one side causing the bearrings to fail. Again, this is just my opinion on the subject.

#11 ·
I haven't experience any problem with mine besides the opti spark and I replaced it with a msd and so far its fine the water pump was done when I did the motor with a gm performance water pump but I don't drive mine very much I probably put 3000 miles in 2 years

#12 ·
Weak points are springs and rod bolts. These motors are getting quite old, so unless you replaced valve springs, they are tired.

Rod bolts are an issue if you plan on spinning it 6500 area regularly, they cannot keep the bearings from spinning.

#14 ·
I dont seem to find any common weakness in the lt1, mine has failed once in every thing and once done properly and following recomendations it hasnt failed at all...

probably what I would find weak on the lt1 is 2 bolt mains and its little killer younger brother ls1 up.....

optis tend to fail if you dont have a vented opti spark, good thing is that once you get a new one and get red lock tite in the rotor bolts, use a little of gasket maker to seal it perfectly its really hard to have problems with it. or you can always go with a ls1 setup on lt1 getting rid of it with a crank trigger...

water pumps will fail faster if you dont maintain your water system with the correct coolant, this not only maintains lower temps, but keeps the system lubricated and corrosion free.

then you get the common problems with any engine... o2 sensors and so...

#16 ·
in my opinion, there is only one thing i really hate about the LT1 after years of working with them: the entire ignition system, and the generally difficult service required for that system.

from the opti to the icm to replacing spark plugs and wires, they really f#%^ed the dog when it came to the LT1's ignition system.

keep in mind they had the technology to go distributorless crank trigger with individual coils, and they did... this instead

#17 ·
I dont know about your case, but in mine since I have long tube headers, already deleted the airpump system, egr, a/c system its pretty darn easy.. some plugs come easier from the bottom some come easier from the top, usually I sit over my intake manifold and work on that hahaha... takes me like 20 min to change all spark plugs and seriously spark plug wires dont fail often, I have changed mine twice since I have the car, 8 years now..

the first time I changed them the car was bone stock and yes IT WAS A P.I.T.A!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.