door hinges - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums
Presented by:

New User? Register
LS1 Forums Register Photo Gallery Tech/FAQ Members List Calendar Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance
Premium Membership Videos Perf Tools Mobile/iPhone Link to Us! Social Groups Follow LS1LT1 on Twitter

Go Back   LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums > Platform Specific Tech > 4th Gen F-Body

LS1LT1.com is the premier Pontiac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

blue09rocket user's tech expertise is unknown at this point
Default door hinges

just curious if camaros and firebirds share the driv and pass door hinges, reason being i want to snag one off a car at a car and rebuild it so I can install it on my car, and while Im on the subject, how hard is it to rebuild a door hinge, what all are the parts I would need? Thank you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #2

My Facebook
BLK95TA user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

I don't think you can "rebuild" 4th gen hinges as they are not a simple pin/bushing replacement like other cars. i had to repalce the ones on my drivers side door due to some sag and i had to track down some good used ones. IIRC the upper? drivers side hinge is discontinued from GM.

1995 Black TA A4 LT1
Mods: MSD cap and rotor, MSD wires, NGK plugs, K&N filter, 17" corvette GS replica's, Ram Air box and hood, 3.42 gears
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Global Moderator

cocobolo95 Tradesman Level Tech II

As 95blkta has stated, GM didn't make 4th gen hinges to be fixed. But if you are not of the faint of heart, I'm willing to bet the rivets that hold the hinge parts together can be carefully drilled out, new bushings for them obtained from an internet bushing supplier and redone. Or if rivets don't have a bushing, you could drill hole to next larger size and get over sized rivets. As before there are internet suppliers for those also. I'm not talking pop rivets but solid metal rivets used in airplane or ak-47 production.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

ok, thank you both, once again leave it to GM to use parts specific to our cars and no one elses ( door hinges and such) well, guess Ill be on my way to the yard to check out some door hinges. Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Global Moderator

Even if you get another set of hinges at the yard, you might want to try rebuilding your old ones. These cars are getting old and the parts are no longer available new, so you could get a good side business going rebuilding 4th gen hinges.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:32 AM   #6

Have any of you heard of Total Automotive- they supposedly have hinge kits for every car, but I dont think they sell to the general public, at least not yet anyway

Total Automotive :: Home Page
Old 06-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Global Moderator

Tried them, nothing for 4th gen cars. At least in the door hinge department. If when you find some more door hings, you don't want to attempt to rebuild the old ones, send the old ones to me and I'll give it a try. Will reinburse you for your shipping costs. If interested pm me and I'll give you my shipping address.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 06-23-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #8

thank you coco, ill do that, might be a couple weeks til i get some hinges, but ill contact you when I do, thank you again.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #9

4Mesh Apprentice Level Tech I

I did my own hinges about 2 years ago. Took them off, made new bushings out of bearing bronze, and installed them into holes I milled in the parts. I realize if you don't have a mill to do that on then you'd have to take it to a shop, but, any decent job shop should be able to handle that for an hours wages ($50/$60), plus perhaps a few more bucks for the bronze. They took a minute to set up cause there's not much to hold on to, but it wasn't a big deal. I did mine in one operation so they stayed as straight as I could possibly keep them. They worked beautiful.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #10

4Mesh Apprentice Level Tech I

Door Hinge Repair Kit 93-02 Camaro or Firebird (standard)

AHH HAAA! Knew I saw these somewhere. Well, they're not 'cheap', and if your hinges have worn holes these might not do the trick anyway without work, My holes were ovaled out so I machined in new ones. Sorta funny actually, I was searching for a part today and saw these, but never looked at em. Then remembered here, and decided to check it out. They look just like the ones I made!

Good luck. (these are a bit pricey)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Global Moderator

^ That's what I'm talking about in post #3. All it takes is a little desire to do what others aren't. Of course having access to machine tools help also. But if one is very careful, I bet it could be done with a good drill press.

Nice kit, looks like he's making about $100 profit on those parts he's selling. I believe I'd find my own bushings and pins and cut the expensive middle man out of the picture.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 07-02-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #12

gunnin4ya Apprentice Level Tech I

I have some decent ones on mine now after replacing some really bad ones. Don't know why I didn't think of it before this post to drill them out while they are straight now and bush them. Makes it a lot easier than finding center with a drill press on a oval hole.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #13

speedemon user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo95 View Post
Tried them, nothing for 4th gen cars. At least in the door hinge department.
Is that still the case? From what I see here they sell them for half the price of the other website on here. Or am I mistaken?

Results for 1995 Pontiac Trans Am 2 Door :: Total Automotive Hinge Kit Solutions
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #14

02silverz user's tech expertise is unknown at this point

Dorman makes a kit for about $20-$30 per door, you can find them on ebay,
Or in a HELP! section, 38493 is the help part #. The kit is made for 93-02 F-bodies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement