95 z28 shifter/console problem - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums

Welcome to LS1LT1.com/LS3forums.com - please click here to register...

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

95 z28 shifter/console problem

Another issue now, yay. Anyway I'm wanting to know what I did wrong here, I got my shifter and console back together and was going through to make sure it worked properly. Upon doing that I realized that it wouldn't go over to the right enough to go into reverse. Is it possible that the tail end of the trans is shifted or anything? The shifter rod only goes on one side where it's indented. Everything seemed to line up straight with no issues, I have the trans cross member in along with driveshaft, only thing not on is the torque arm but I don't think that would cause the issue. I had to take off the top of the console to get it to go over far enough. If this sounds familiar to you please let me know.

[SIGPIC]93 z28 355 lt1 angel eye mod emissions delete 2800 tci sizzler stall(sold)
95 z28 lt1 t56 pacesetter long tube headers magnaflow catback short throw shifter

Last edited by dondon69420; 04-06-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Anybody? Is it possible to install the shifter 180 degrees off?

[SIGPIC]93 z28 355 lt1 angel eye mod emissions delete 2800 tci sizzler stall(sold)
95 z28 lt1 t56 pacesetter long tube headers magnaflow catback short throw shifter
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:16 AM
Global Moderator

Don't really know the answer, but I would take it back apart and try the 180 degree off guess. If it worked before you took it apart, then it has to be something during reassembly.

Unless you broke the shifter somehow, which is unlikely.

Have you consulted the 95 factory service manual to see if there are instructions or diagrams to help you get it right? If you don't have the 95 service manual, get it at www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Also get the 93 manual while your there.

Last edited by cocobolo95; 04-10-2017 at 07:20 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

I think the problem is the whole thing is shifted just a little bit, the cross member for the trans isn't in the same spot as it once was seeing where the bolts used to sit lol. So either going to have to try and straighten it out or notch the shifter, sounds like tons of fun. Thanks though coco.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Global Moderator

If the cross member has shifted, loosen the bolts and use a scissor jack to move the trans back to it's original position.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

That's next in my plans to try.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok so that didn't really work like I wanted it to, the Jack was mainly just pushing down and not over like I need. It's hard to get a good angle even with a little scissor Jack. I might have to loosen everything back up a little and try and shift it that way, I tried using a prybar to move it with the x member loosened but that didn't work either. A little off this topic but how would I know if my temp gauge is bad? I grounded the single temp sending unit wire and it pegged, but didn't come back down when I removed the ground only after I cycled the ignition off and then back on. I have 12 volts coming off the wire as well so I'm thinking just the sensor is junk.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 AM
Global Moderator

Sounds like your torque arm will have to be taken off trans end to get everything to move back.

If you ground sensor wire and gauge pegs full hot. Then when you remove wire from ground,gauge stays pegged. This sounds more like a short to ground of the gauge wire, or a gauge problem rather then a sensor problem.

But you can test the sensor. Take it off car and place it in a pot of water. Heat the water while using your ohm meter to read resistance of sender. Also have cooking thermometer to tell you what water temp is.

Should read around 1365 ohms @ 160 degrees F. And 55 ohms at 260 degrees F.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have the torque arm disconnected at the trans already so that helps. Anyway I still have the sensor in the car so I double checked the gauge itself and it's working normally and I have12 volts coming off the wire itself so that's good. I went to check the resistance in the sensor and have no reading at all, I set it to 20k ohms and tried 2k as well with nothing. I'm pretty certain at this point the sensor is shot and that should solve my problem once it's replaced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement