LS1LT1 Forum banner

any of you guys autocross f-bodies?

11K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Greed4Speed 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many guys autocross these things? I saw a few clips on youtube, but curious how people do, how you set up the car, and how fun is it? I had a crx I used to race with , never took it seriously just a fun way cheaper way to race on some turns. I've had this nightmare of a 95 camaro for like 8 years now and an 85 ta before that. Always wondered how much fun it would be and how to go about setting up the car.

#5 · (Edited)
Used to work at NJMP
We saw the muscle cars more often than you think.
Just gotta know how to drive 'em.

The f-bodies do surprisingly well.
They actually have a European style front suspension setup.
Nice wide wheel-base and sit very low.

Assuming the car is factory(-ish), you're biggest enemies are...
-weight in the front
-traction/power efficiency out of corners
-braking
(lt1 brakes suck, you can build them up, but LS1 twin pistons are the winners)
-Snake turns

Don't waste you're money on the motor, they have more than enough power for your average autocross race. You want to tighten the suspension up for Snakes, Beef up the brakes for corner entry, and make sure the wheels are sticking for Exit.

If you aren't afraid to dive-bomb into corners, burn up tires and keep you apex, they'll have trouble over-taking you in and out of corners. But like I said...can't be afraid to tweak that bitch to the edge of wheel slip. lol

Good luck!

#6 ·
Pretty much what black lt1 said. I take my car to willow springs all the time and i dominate, other then this one s2000 with full suspension, 80 tredwear tires, adjustable dampeners from inside the car ect. It all comes down to driver in the end though. I have seen a bone stock Camry take out fully built STI's in turns.

#7 ·
Ha true autocross talk! Yea my crx had a stock motor and still had more than enough power. Definitly started dropping weight off the front, removed a/c, air pump, egr stuff, etc... I'm right now doing a clutch replacement and fuel pump. When I put it all back in I'm replacing the brake lines with braided and I got hawks with drilled rigors already. I put swaybars in a few years ago and that made a more responsive feel. I was looking into a set of strano springs and open minded on any suggestions for struts. Tubular suspension parts in the near future as well.

#8 ·
I run strano struts with 8 way kyb adjustables, but if you want to get the best suspension set up, I'd post up in the suspension section and wait for UMI Performance to chime in, you can really learn a lot from them about what your car needs, doesn't need ect!

#9 ·
Thanks for the tips. I posted a spring question and umi jumped on it. I'm looking forward to chatting with them about some tubular parts to stiffin and make the car more responsive. Trying different set ups is fun but buying garbage and replacing it right away sucks. Trying to work off of other peoples knowledge.

#10 ·
I'm thinking about going to my local autox track this year just for the fun, looks like it would be a blast. Pretty heavy to imports though

#12 ·
I don't think I ever stuck around after my last run to see how well I did against other people. It's way more fun to build the car the way you want it and race yourself. Otherwise you will be unmotivated watching guys woop your time because they've been doing it every weekend for years. My favorite thing about autocross is you can borrow your girlfriends car or grandmas car for the day and have a ton of fun compared to dealing with s talking drag guys with big wallets. Like the sticker says " fast cars drag race, fast drivers autocross"

#14 ·
You can drag race bone stock cars in bracket classes with just as much luck and fun. :thumbsup:

#18 ·
Classes are a combination of ET and equipment. It varies from track-to-track, so get on the website of your local track and see how they are organized.

Typically, some equipment is allowed in some classes and not in others, such as a delay box or tranny brake. For instance, in NHRA ET classes, a delay box is allowed in "Super Pro", but not "Pro" or "Sportsman". A tranny brake is allowed in "Super Pro" and "Pro", but not "Sportsman". The NHRA ET break for "Super Pro" is 7.50-12.00 sec, "Pro" 9.00 to 13.99, "Sportsman" 12.00-19.99.

Safety equipment requirements vary with ET (need a helmet for 13.99 and quicker, 6-point rollbar 11.49 & quicker, etc.).

Best bet it to check with your track for their classes and rules (some tracks require a helmet for all racers, for instance).

#16 · (Edited)
I hear you about the shit talkers. Never cared for that aspect.
Drag racing doesn't have to be expensive. We had a lot of fun drag racing as a club with friendly rivalries. These were all our daily drivers and we each knew what the other had so it was all good. You can get spotted lengths if you have fewer mods. Some of the most fun I have had dragging was in a bone stock TBSS that only ran low 9 sec 1/8 mile (low 14's 1/4 mile). I was beating a friend in his bolt on WS6. The races were won at the line. You can also just as easily race against previous times the same as what you're wanting to do with autox.
Anyone that says fast drivers don't drag obviously has little experience at it. I can see why import drivers would say that because they don't have the power to spin bad out of the hole. For them is it literally leave it in drive and stab the go pedal when the light turns green but when you do have power it takes some finesse. It takes even more with a manual trans. Its just a different set of skills and any well rounded driver should participate in both, IMO.

#17 ·
I talked to a top fueler once and he said " these cars do anything but drive in a straight line" . Agreed about doing both. I guess I just never came across people who drag race for fun, perfect example was driving past raceway park and a guy in a volkswagon spit out his window at my car, I never seen so many people get so offensive about their cars then vw guys. I guess living in the same town as a 1/4 mile track kinda unmotivates you sometimes when you see the drama everyday. The funiest is the segregatedhonda days, I guess different ethnics can't play in harmony at the track.

#20 ·
just autoxed mine last weekend

i just ran mine on autox last sunday and it was a blast now mine isnt exacly stock my convertible has umi lower rear controll arms,relocation brackets,panhard bar,big sway bars,all with the roto joints, sub frame connectors it also has the umi 13" front brake kit with drilled and slotted rotors with hawk hps pads and ls 12" rear brakes with drilled and slotted rotors and hawk hps pads all with stainless braided brake lines has 3.73 gear hypertech programmer cai and holley throttle body car handles very well and will stop on a dime and give u 9 cents back only issue i had was around some of the long sweepers u could slide it out and drift it if you put the throttle on to hard or fast which i did on first run im hooked i will b autox mine alot this summer :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#21 ·
Nice dude, I got a few more brake parts to buy then its going back together. Can't wait to take out some cones and really test some parts. Do you like the control arm relocation brackets? I always thought those were just for launching the car, do they help for cornering?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.