LS1LT1 Forum banner

Best heads?

17K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  bufmatmuslepants 
#1 ·
hey i was wondering what are the best heads for a 93 lt1

#5 ·
well the shop that is building it got some patroit heads for it and said they finished and they called me back and telling me the heads are not goin work like they said would and now want me to get another 350(vortex os some bs) and put everything in it so im and the motor has been with them for 4 months and they have just been sitting on it so im goin to pull it out and finish it my self.

#14 ·
id be more worried about your bottom end. dont want to spin a bearing or anything

#15 · (Edited)
The Patriot heads were designed for standard old style small block chevy cooling system
the LT1 has reverse flow cooling.

LT1 History

Early heads Lt1 Casting 374 last 3 digits have more meat for porting used 92-95

Later LT1 Heads have slightly better flowing exhaust ports castings 561 harder to locate.

The 96-97 Late model LT1 heads also flow slightly better than the early ones casting 648.

The cast Iron 96 Impalla SS heads were the best flowing LT1 Heads flow approximately 20cfm better than the aluminum heads and weigh 40lbs more per pair.

For racing heres some comparisons of head flow rates:

Total Engine Airflow & Trick Flow LT1 Cylinder Heads | GM High-Tech Performance Magazine Article at Automotive.com

#20 ·
No point in doing heads with a stock cam, why not go with an LE1 package? Comes with assembled heads and your choice of cams for about half the price of both heads you posted, and flow WAY more than the edelbrocks, and about the same as the as cast darts.

LT1 LE1 «

#21 ·
Don't run the Edelbrocks or Darts if aftermarket run Trick FLows or Air Flow Research. Best value for the money is Lloyd Elliots LE1's ported stock heads. Ported I'd choose 374 castings numbers match production 93 heads and ported they really flow.

#24 ·
Someone stated get AFRs and send them out to be CNC. Problem is AFR is a fully CNC head in the box. They aren't as cast.

Best heads for bang?
AI 200cc factory CNC castings. On a 383 makes over 500rwhp. 1800 bucks plus 400 and you can have a cam from them.

Best all out head while keeping it direct bolt on?
AI 215cc TFS heads.

#25 ·
It is VERY VERY VERY RARE for anyone to make 500rwhp... PERIOD. Let alone with the AI 200cc heads. Most I normally see is around 450-475, and I cant think of a single 383 with ported stock heads that is putting down 500rwhp.

Even with the TFS AI heads, people rarely put down over 500. Once again, Ill say it, I cant think of a single build right now that made over 500 to the tire with either of AI's packages, other than the 1 or 2 that they show on their website, which are FAR from street cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.