LS1LT1 Forum banner

whats the best ls1

6K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  '97z28m6 
#1 ·
hey guys, i got a 97 lt1 camaro rite now but im highly considering buying an ls1 camaro. i was just wondering what u guys think the best year out of 98-02 is the better one, i know that the '01 and '02 had 310hp and 340tq compared to the previous 305hp and 335tq, but is that really worth the extra costs of the new cars? make sure you guys say why you like the specific year you state better. thanks for the help

#3 ·
ya i would love one although i have a feeling i would have a hard time finding one for under 11k...

#5 ·
just want the fastest stock car you can get... the 02 may be the best bet.... but if you want to find a cheaper car to add some mods.... i wouldn't go that new.

You can look at the specs on the different years and decide what suite you best. AIf i remebre right the 98 and 99 had a larger cam than the rest... and the rest was more of a "torque" orientated... sometimes compared to the trucks cams.

And i think a nice LS1 car under 11k period is going to be hard to find... unless you want a Stripper Z

#6 ·
My politically correct response is:

The one you are driving, 'cause they're all fun! WS6, Regular TA, Firehawk, Formula, Anniversary editions, etc.

#7 ·
technically, 01 and 02 are the "best" years do to slight differences. and those factory HP numbers are complete BS. also, most of teh differences(98 not counted) are goin to be null once mods start. i would go for a low mileage 99 before a higher mileage 01 or 02, price the same

#9 ·
Yeah, some of the WS6's are actually as fast, if not faster than some of the Firehawks! The HP values advertised are BS, and some of the later 02 models actually got the LS6 block. Probably immaterial, but some engines just perform better than others.

#11 ·
but a bad driver and a good driver can have a full sec difference too

#13 ·
Here's the deals: 01-02 used a different cam so they wouldn't have to run EGR. Also have an LS6 intake. Also have upgraded rod bolts.

If you buy a 98-00 they're still great cars, especially if you're aware of the design limitations. You'll have to shell out about $300 for the intake to match up as far as that goes... the differences in the cams is negligable. But if you cam it or H/C it or hell, even tune it to rev higher later you're going to have to worry about or replace those rod-bolts with some ARPs

There's a few other design issues, such as poor heads on the 98's (853's I believe). The 241 casting flowed pretty good, etc. etc. etc.

Even given those differences, any LS1 is the shiz :D

#14 ·
I could be wrong, but I thought the 00-02 got the upgraded clutch for our M6's also. Several upgrades did take place w/new gen LS1's

#16 · (Edited)
Hope you weren't referring to this piece:

WHEN COMPARING CARS OF THE SAME YEAR AND TRANNY AN LS1 IS AN LS1 IS AN LS1 IS AN LS1 IS AN LS1 SO STOP WITH THE PETTY BS..
lol.....good reference point, and I did remember:

1. A small percentage of 2001 and 2002 LS1s actually had LS6 blocks which had a different part number and a darker metal cast2. Starting 2001, all LS1s came with an LS6 intake manifold without an EGR system
3. Advertised HP output was changed from 305 to 310 on base LS1s and from 320 to 325 on WS6s and SSs
4. 2001-02 cars have a smaller cam from the Vortec truck engines to increase low end torque
5. 2001-02 cars had 28 lb fuel injectors like the 98 cars (albeit different part numbers)
6. WS6 cars had a redesigned 5 spoke rim which was more wavy
7. WS6 cars got less suspension upgrades from a base Trans Am suspension than previous years
8. Manual transmission cars all came with the Z06 clutch2002 - Last year of the F-body

1. 35th Annivesary edition of the Camaro, and Collectors Edition Trans Am available
2. 2002 LS1 head gaskets redesigned. The new ones are a pressed metal, as opposed to the graphite ones and are no longer specific to the side of the car theyre installed on
3. 2002 cars continued with the LS6 intake, 28 lb fuel inectors and smaller truck cam
4. 2002 continued the use of an LS6 block in some LS1 F-bodies
5. A factory supported optional 345 HP option could be ordered from SLP
6. Manual transmission cars continued use of the Z06 clutch7. Some 2002 model F-bodies came with a revised rear view mirror that had the map light buttons on the bottom, rather than the front.

#17 ·
ok i am definetly not worried about stock hp and tq, i definetly plan on modding it so thats not a big deal, the main things im looking for are weither a certain year is harder to work on, more expensive to upgrade or etc. because of design diffrences. for example u guys say that the 98-00 had egr on the intake because it wasn't the ls6 intake, does that make it so that i have to buy extra crap to make more power, or does it just straight up limit the power i can make?

#20 ·
ok so there are 2 cars im looking at rite now, first one is a 98 camaro z28 with 88k miles, the exterior and interior look to be in near perfect condition don't kno on the engine (no pic), and it is fully loaded. they r asking $8888. also there is a 99 formula with 102k miles that has power everything and cruise control, asking $10,950 there is only 1 picture so i have no idea the condition of the interior or engine. so wut would u guys go with, also they r both M6's

#21 ·
I believe that the computer is more friendly to the tuner on '02s. I don't believe it is more tunable but when getting mine tune the guy said that he loved the '02 computers. I didn't ask for the details, he just said they were easier to work with.

#24 ·
Moparnos (The SLP Guy) said:
if your going to mod the car anyways it doesnt' matter what year it is. it's all the same basic thing. so the crap with egr, inj sizes and blah blah blah doesn't mean crap
Javi is right. We all know Mine and his are the best. :lol:

#25 ·
Moparnos (The SLP Guy) said:
if your going to mod the car anyways it doesnt' matter what year it is. it's all the same basic thing. so the crap with egr, inj sizes and blah blah blah doesn't mean crap
I totally agree!

...except for the rod-bolts if you're staying stock bottom-end for a while :)

#26 · (Edited)
My old 1999 Z28 with a Borla Cat-back/K&N/LID dynoed 309hp 321.2ft lbs tq

My 01 SS BONE STOCK DYNOED 306.4hp 327.7ft lbs of tq 51k on the clock

I say go for 01-02 for sure! BTW i paid 14,999 for my 01 SS 5 months ago with 47,000 miles on the clock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.