LS1LT1 Forum banner

conversion to an ls3/6L80 in a 91 camaro rs

11K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  sweetbmxrider 
#1 ·
does anyone know exactly what is needed for an ls3/6l80 conversion into my 91 camaro other than the motor and tranny?

#2 ·
computer, wiring harness, fuel pump, new front suspension, bigger brakes and rotors, and probably before too long a new rear end ,new motor and tranny mounts obviously and im probably forgetting some stuff but this will give you an idea of where to start hopefully

#3 ·
well i found a conversion kit for an ls1 that comes with a wiring harness but im not sure if its the same thing, ive been looking for a rear end with posi disc, abs and traction control, and ive seen the motor mounts i need but is there a special tranny mount used?

#4 ·
I don't know specifics about the 6L80E, but something tells me nobody has addressed it in the aftermarket yet. Fab time.

An LS1 harness won't work with an LS3. Some of it may, but TBW alone is beyond LS1 territory.

#6 ·
Are you getting a new engine and transmission, or pulling them from a donor vehicle?

#8 ·
I assume the donor vehicle doesn't have the LS3. That would be your best source for the harness, if available.

I'm guessing the 6L80 won't have provision for the torque arm mount. What were you planning there?

#10 ·
Fastening the torque arm to the crossmember would be a better route.

#12 ·
LS3 swap in 3rd gen harness

Hey bro, contact John @ speartech fuel injection systems and he will custom build you a plug and play harness for that swap. He is the only one doing it for that swap right now. He is going to build one for me for my swap, their # 765-378-4908 ask for John;).

Also if you want to put custom guages in your 90-92 camaro, Bruce @ Covans classic dash is also building a custom guage panel for 90-92 camaros as well so you can put a 200mph autometer phantom series speedo and the rest of the guages as well, I convinced him to start building them. They made them for 82-89 but not 90-92 so I called him and got the ball rolling cause w/ an LS3 a 110 or even 145mph wont cut it, you'll bury that 145 midway through 4th gear.
Contact Greg @ Covans classic dash @ 1-866-882-3525 ;).
Good Luck and let me know how you make out w/ your swap.
mikesanto70@yahoo.com

#13 ·
I know a little about the 4L80E, but next to nothing about the 6L80E. Are they the same length? Mount location the same? Other issues???

#14 ·
yeah i was wondering the same 4l80e vs 6l80e?

also, you could do a chassis mounted torque arm. it mounts to the two spot welded braces and replaces the flimsy stamp steel piece, assuming third gens are set up with one. i may be wrong here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.